Mabi forest occurs on the Atherton tablelands and is listed under the Environmental Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act) as a “Nationally Threatened Ecological Community”. Mabi is the traditional name of the Tree Kangaroo which is well represented in Mabi remnants. A regional management association contracted NQLMS to;
- Project coordination
- Assisted the development of an advisory body to oversee Mabi recovery
- Produce revegetation plans
- Train and employ 6 indigenous field assistants for 18 months.
- Revegetate/reinstate 8 ha of Mabi forest
- Enhance 105 ha of Mabi remnant including fencing, weed treatment and removing garbage.
This project was spread over 7 properties both private and public tenure. Our contract was finished in late 2013.